Thursday, July 17, 2014

Where were you when you heard that Oswaldo Payá had been killed in Cuba?

"They have told me that they will kill me before this regime ends, but I will not flee." - Oswaldo Payá

On Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 1:50pm while near Bayamo in eastern Granma province of Cuba the incident provoked by State Security that ended the lives of Oswaldo Payá Sardiñas and Harold Cepero Escalante was underway hundreds of miles away in Miami, FL I was sitting in a movie theater in Kendall getting ready to watch The Dark Knight Rises. Shortly around 6:00pm when I turned on my cell phone Orlando Gutierrez was calling to tell me that they had killed Oswaldo. I know several Oswaldo's so immediately asked him Oswaldo who? Payá he told me, and my heart sank. I sat down opened my laptop and blogged about it in an effort to deal with this horror.

Where were you on that terrible Sunday afternoon and when did you learn that they had killed Oswaldo and Harold?

No comments:

Post a Comment