Friday, April 5, 2019

Prisoner of conscience Eduardo Cardet, leader of the Christian Liberation Movement allowed to spend a weekend at his home.

"I have lived these last few years with the conviction that unearned suffering is redemptive." - Martin Luther King Jr.,  Suffering and Faith,"April 27, 1960


Some good news, a man furloughed from jail is able to spend the weekend for the first time in two years and five months at home with his family. His name is Eduardo Cardet. He is a medical doctor. He is a husband and a father to two boys. Dr. Cardet is the Christian Liberation Movement's national coordinator.

Eduardo Cardet unjustly imprisoned without the ability to visit his family since November 30, 2016. He was jailed for providing a critical assessment of Fidel Castro's rule, and for his non-violent advocacy for a democratic change in Cuba.

The sad part is that he should have never been arrested, much less arbitrarily detained. Below is a translation of his message.
Note from Eduardo Cardet, National Coordinator of the Christian Liberation Movement:

I am on a weekend pass that is part of the prison situation in which I find myself. For the first time I can be at home with my family after almost two and a half years and I hope it is a prior step to my definitive liberation.

I want to acknowledge the affection shown by friends and fellow citizens who have come to greet me and send a big hug to all the members of the Christian Liberation Movement and my thanks to all those people and institutions who have cared and worried about my situation and my family's.

Greetings from Velasco, Holguín

Eduardo Cardet Concepción

National Coordinator of the Christian Liberation Movement
This is not the time to slow down, but the time to double down and campaign for Dr. Eduardo Cardet's freedom.


No comments:

Post a Comment