Today begins the 14th edition of the Geneva Summit for Human Rights and Democracy. Yesterday there was a non streamed opening session, but today begins the live streamed portion.
This gathering presents an opportunity for pro-democracy activists from around the world to gather and exchange best practices, and compare notes on what authoritarians are doing to continue their 16 year track record of undermining international human rights standards, and reducing the number of democracies in the world.Video of the April 5th opening session is available here.
Here is a also a Twitter thread from yesterday's opening session.
HAPPENING NOW: The United Nations opening session of #GenevaSummit2022.— The Geneva Summit for Human Rights and Democracy (@GenevaSummit) April 5, 2022
We'll be live-tweeting the event from the home of human rights—the Palais des Nations in Geneva.
Follow along as we hear from the world's most courageous dissidents 👇
Not in Geneva Switzerland? Follow the live stream of the summit here, and use the hashtags #GS22 and #GenevaSummit2022 to comment, and also to follow the conversation online.
Morning Session ( Central European Time )
- Hillel Neuer, Executive Director of United Nations Watch, on behalf of the 25 NGO co-sponsors of the Geneva Summit.
10:10 The Future of Russia: Resisting Putin From Moscow to Kyiv
Interviewer: Hillel Neuer, Executive Director of United Nations Watch
- Leonid Volkov, Russian opposition activist and Chief of Staff to Alexei Navalny
10:30 The Struggle for Human Rights in China
Moderator: Luke de Pulford, Founder & CEO of Arise
- Rushan Abbas, Founder of Campaign for Uyghurs, sister of political prisoner in China
- Joey Siu, Policy Advisor at Hong Kong Watch, Advisor to Inter-Parliamentary Alliance on China
- Tenzin Tsundue, Tibetan refugee and writer, arrested 16 times for his activism
11:20 The War in Ukraine: An Eyewitness Account
- Olga Aivazovska, Forcibly displaced civil society leader & advocate for war crimes tribunal against Putin
11:30 Price of Dissent: The Plight of Political Prisoners
Moderator: Yonah Diamond, International human rights lawyer
- Areej Al-Sadhan, Activist & sister of Saudi political prisoner Abdulrahman al-Sadhan
- Sophie Luo, Activist, wife of Chinese political prisoner Ding Jiaxi
- Tatsiana Khomich, Activist fighting to free Belarus political prisoners, including her sister Maria Kalesnikava
- Mariam Claren, Daughter of Nahid Taghavi, jailed political prisoner in Iran
12:15 Exiled From Vietnam: The Fight for Freedom of Speech
- Pham Minh Hoang, Vietnamese scholar & former political prisoner
12:25 The 2022 International Women’s Rights Award
Presented by: Nazanin Boniadi, Award-nominated actress and Amnesty International Ambassador
14:30 Uncovering Corruption
- Hopewell Chin’ono, Zimbabwean journalist and filmmaker arrested 3 times for exposing corruption
14:40 Scarred by North Korea
- Timothy Cho, North Korean human rights activist who escaped from prison
14:50 Resisting Dictatorship in Latin AmericaModerator: Melissa Mahtani, CNN journalist, senior producer
- Hamlet Lavastida, Cuban artist, former political prisoner, founder of artist-led campaign groups 27N and San Isidro Movement
- Berta Valle, Nicaraguan journalist & activist, wife of political prisoner Félix Maradiaga
- Miguel Henrique Otero, Journalist, CEO of Venezuela’s El Nacional newspaper that was recently seized by the regime
15:40 How To Topple A Dictator
- Bobi Wine, Ugandan opposition leader & 2021 presidential candidate
15:50 The 2022 Courage AwardPresented by: Zumretay Arkin, World Uyghur Congress Women’s Committee Chair
- Enes Kanter Freedom, NBA basketball player and human rights activist Interviewer: Jean-Cosme Delaloye, Filmmaker and Reporter