Saturday, January 10, 2015

Cuban dissident beaten and arrested for wearing a bracelet with the word change

Marcelino Abreu was arrested for wearing a change bracelet and was repeatedly kicked by state security knocking out a tooth and broke his nose.
 
Marcelino Abreu Bonora: Jailed for wearing change bracelet*

Marcelino Abreu Bonora released after threats and confinement in Nieves Morejon prison

Santa Clara, Cuba, January 7, 2015.

Taken from the Cuban Democratic Directorate.

The Cuban human rights activist Marcelino Abreu Bonora, who was arbitrarily arrested last December 26 in this city, beaten and taken to a detention center and later taken to the Nieves Morejon prison in Sancti Spiritus, was released yesterday evening on January 6, 2014.

"On December 26th I was assaulted by Félix Hernández, State Security captain of Department 21 when it was getting dark in the evening hours. He pulled the bracelet that I had in my left hand that says 'Change' and told me that I was counterrevolutionary and I replied that I was not counterrevolutionary that the ones who were counterrevolutionaries were Fidel and Raul who had made secret negotiations, who had deceived the Cuban people for 56 years. He told me that I didn’t need to talk about it and he went up gave me a jab with the right elbow, he ordered the patrol men to handcuff me.

They pushed me into the car and inside the it they sprayed me in the eyes as they drove me to the station," said Abreu Bonora via telephone to the Cuban Democratic Directorate. The activist added that he had been threatened by the military that they would return him to prison where he was released on October 24, 2014.

Marcelino also said that he was subjected to inhuman treatment from the moment of his arbitrary detention and was released after he made known his decision to declare an indefinite hunger strike.

"I shouted 'Down with Fidel, down with Raul', he attacked me again, they kicked me in the left breast, they hit me again, kicking me in the mouth knocking out one of my front and lower teeth, again they hurt my nasal septum twisted on the right side and I was bleeding most of the night from my mouth and septum. Then they started slapping me in the face and told me: 'impudent, thief, murderer, you are a counterrevolutionary'. I kept shouting 'Down with Fidel, down with the dictatorship', 'Long live human rights'," he explained.

Dozens of human rights activists and members of independent civil society have been arbitrarily arrested in the past three weeks, subjected to inhuman and degrading treatment and some are waiting to be processed to swell the ranks of Cuban political prisoners.

The Castro regime continues to imprison citizens who dissent with the official policy of the dictatorship.


 Photo taken by Ivan Hernandez Carrillo.

No comments:

Post a Comment